Long Beach Paternity Lawyer
Expert Paternity Legal Guidance in California
At Curtis Family Law, paternity matters can be complex and emotionally charged. Our dedicated team of experienced attorneys is here to guide you through the legal process of establishing paternity in California. With a deep commitment to protecting your rights and your child's best interests, we are your partners in navigating the intricacies of paternity law.
Call Curtis Family Law today at (562) 315-7107 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our paternity attorney in Long Beach!
Establishing Paternity in California
Establishing legal paternity is a fundamental step in ensuring that both parents share the rights and responsibilities of parenthood. California law recognizes that every child deserves a meaningful relationship with both parents. Whether you are a mother seeking child support or a father wanting to be involved in your child's life, our skilled Long Beach paternity lawyers can assist you in understanding your rights and obligations.
How to Petition the Court to Establish Paternity
Petitioning the court to establish paternity is a process that requires careful attention to legal procedures and documentation. Our seasoned legal team at Curtis Family Law has extensive experience in handling paternity cases and can guide you through the following steps:
- Filing the Petition: To begin the process, you must file a petition with the court. This can be done by either parent or by the local child support agency. The petition initiates legal proceedings to determine the child's biological father and establish parental rights.
- Genetic Testing: Genetic testing is often used to determine paternity. This involves collecting DNA samples from the child, the alleged father, and the mother. The results of the test can provide strong evidence of biological parentage.
- Voluntary Declaration of Paternity: If parents agree about the child's paternity, they can sign a Voluntary Declaration of Paternity (VDP) form. This legal document acknowledges the father's parental rights and responsibilities. Ensuring this process is handled correctly is crucial to avoid future complications.
- Court Proceedings: If disputes exist or one party contests paternity, the case will proceed to court. Our skilled attorneys will represent your interests during the court proceedings, presenting evidence and arguments to establish or challenge paternity based on legal grounds.
- Establishing Rights and Obligations: Once paternity is established, parents can work out child custody, visitation schedules, and child support arrangements. Our legal team will advocate for a fair arrangement in the child's best interests.
How Long Does a Father Have to Establish Paternity?
California has no time limit for a father to establish paternity. Paternity can be established at any point during the child's life. Whether you seek to establish paternity shortly after the child's birth or several years later, Curtis Family Law supports you. However, it's important to note that the sooner paternity is established, the sooner both parents can work together to provide a stable environment for the child.
Contact Our Long Beach Paternity Attorney Today
At Curtis Family Law, we recognize the significance of paternity matters in the lives of both parents and children. Our Long Beach paternity lawyers are dedicated to providing compassionate and strategic legal representation to help you navigate the complexities of paternity law in California. With our expertise and commitment to achieving the best possible outcome for you and your child, you can trust us to be your steadfast advocates in your paternity case.
Contact Curtis Family Law today to meet with our paternity lawyer in Long Beach!